Picture
I'm really not very good at "resting up," as per my post-surgical instructions. The first few days were easy, as my anaesthetic still seemed be wearing off, so I didn't feel like getting off the couch or keeping my eyes open anyways. But then it got warm. Really warm. I'm talking 25ºC-warm! So, I decided to do some light walking around my backyard, take in the fresh air, and snap a few photos to share with you. I also decided to make ice cream cups, because everyone deserves a healthy vegan ice cream cup when they don't feel well and the temperature exceeds 20ºC. (An unwritten rule that I just made up.)
Welcome to my backyard!
Picture
Picture
Murphy was outside with me. Isn't she cute?
Picture
All of that fresh air really increased my weak appetite. I wanted something cool and creamy that would do my body good. Banana "nice" cream sounded good, but I was without frozen bananas, so I created these instead. No complaints here!

There are foods that must be in my kitchen at all times or I become a little anxious: bananas, almond butter, kale, sweet potatoes, chia seeds, coconut oil, brown rice, chickpeas, hummus and Vega One vanilla. Bananas are #1. If I was stranded on a desert island and I only could bring one thing, it would be bananas. (And I just wrote "desert" as "dessert," twice. I think we all know where my brain is!)
Picture
I'm bananas about bananas. They're my favourite fruit. Here's why:

Health Benefits of Bananas

• High in potassium, a mineral and electrolyte needed for proper heart rhythm, nervous system function, muscle operation, kidney support and fluid balance. Their rich potassium content is useful for those with high blood pressure.

• Mood-boosting, containing tryptophan, an amino acid that's converted to serotonin in the body, the feel good, "happy" neurotransmitter.

• Prebiotic powerhouse. Bananas contain a type of fibre referred to as prebiotic. Prebiotics are necessary to feed probiotics. These two compounds work in tandem -you need both for a truly healthy gut. Probiotics have a variety of health benefits including nutrient absorption, cholesterol reduction, weight maintenance, reducing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), vitamin synthesis (your body actually makes several vitamins!), serotonin production (see above) and much more. Probiotics are a friendly bacteria that are currently being lauded by the health community as a miracle worker -but you can't forget to feed them!

• Rich in vitamin B6, a member of the B-vitamin family that plays a role in hormone balance for women, correct fluid levels, protein metabolism and detoxification. Additionally, vitamin B6 is required to convert tryptophan to serotonin, further increasing the mood-boosting, natural antidepressant benefits.

• Pregnancy power food. Bananas are a supportive, healthy food for pregnant women, as their vitamin B6 content works to maintain the mother-to-be's hormonal balance, proper fluid levels, and aids in developing the baby's nervous system. Vitamin B6 may also be useful in the development of the myelin sheath covering of nerves in both babies and adults, which is needed to conduct impulses correctly.

• Bananas are beautifying, containing a good amount of biotin, needed for hair growth and nail strength.

• Bananas contain a great deal of fibre, supporting digestive health, sweeping out LDL "bad" cholesterol, promoting detoxification, increasing satiation and stabilizing blood sugar levels.

• An easily digestible food. When ripe, bananas are nourishing to the digestive system, soothing the lining of the stomach and providing anti-ulcer support.

• A source of carbohydrates, giving you the energy you need to power through your day and feed your brain for a sharp, focused mind.

If you have trouble digesting bananas, make sure you're eating them when fully ripe. A fully ripe banana that is ready for consumption has a brown spots. Green or greenish bananas are likely to cause indigestion in most people, as they aren't fully ripe. When I buy bananas at the store, I purchase a yellow bunch and a greenish bunch, the greenish bunch will be ripe and ready to eat when the spotty yellow ones are eaten up.

Now, onto what you came here for -vegan ice cream cups. Whatever the weather, life is better with ice cream. I know these certainly made me feel better. This week, I'm going to be good to myself, take it easy, work from the couch, eat ice cream cups and watch Magic Mike *wiggles eyebrows.*

Happy almost ice cream season, everyone!
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Please head on over to MindBodyGreen to check out my latest recipe, ideal for these warmer days: Moroccan-Spiced Cauliflower & Carrot Salad
What's your desert island food?

My Social Channels

Comments

04/14/2014 1:34pm

These look awesome! I love knowing all those banana facts. My desert island foods are not as healthy as yours! Cheese, ice cream, and chocolate for sure. But also smoothies - I drink one every morning with almond milk, banana, berries, tangerine, and hemp seeds. :)

04/14/2014 2:40pm

Hey Alanna, I love to spread the word about bananas ;)

I think we'd be set if ever stranded on a desert island together! And that smoothie sounds amazing. I'd be lost without my blender, so I may need to add this to my desert island list!

Lisa M.
04/14/2014 5:22pm

Hi Allison,

I know bananas are good for frozen treats, but I'm allergic. Are you able to use a substitute (like pumpkin puree, my usual go-to) or does it require a banana?

Thanks (and feel better!)
~Lisa

04/14/2014 5:35pm

Hi Lisa!

Pumpkin puree would be amazing! That's a great idea. It has the same creamy consistency. It should work out perfectly for you. I would use about 1/2 cup.

And thank you for the well wishes :)

04/15/2014 7:41am

Oh wow, these looks so good! I agree about the banana's, they are amaaazing! I didn't know about the vitamin B6...perhaps I should eat more of them around pms time! Ha ha, I suffer badly. I do eat sometimes 2-3 bananas a day, so maybe that's part of the reason that my nails and hair are longer and stronger! I never knew that about the biotin.

04/15/2014 8:35am

Hey Samantha! I always have at least 2 bananas per day. I just love 'em! Yeah, it may help during pms time! They also have magnesium in them, which can help with cramps, now that I think about it. They're a lady-friendly food :)

04/15/2014 8:00am

Oh my goodness, these are beautiful! It feels like ice cream weather here in the NY/NJ metro area too! I'm so glad you mentioned how you SHOULD be eating the spotty bananas. I find that so many people I know steer clear once they start turning brown...I keep trying to tell them that that's the BEST time to eat them.

04/15/2014 8:39am

Thanks Elyse! I'm all about the ripe bananas. They're the tastiest and sweetest then too. Ripe banana lovers unite! ;)

Auntie Marsha
04/15/2014 3:31pm

I started to write you an email and thought.......maybe check your Blog! I knew we couldn't hold you down for long. Continue good recovery. So glad you feel stronger. I am making these amazing Vegan Ice Cream Cups. Happy Easter to you and family. Love Auntie Marsha

04/15/2014 4:08pm

Hi Auntie Marsha! Hehe, yes, I'm really bad at sitting around and doing nothing. But I'm recovering quicker than I expected :)

I hope you love these! They're a yummy freezer treat. Happy Easter to you as well!

04/16/2014 2:22pm

I learned so much about bananas today! I knew they were high in potassium, but all of your other fun facts were super interesting.
I love these ice cream cups and I can't wait to try them. Pinned. :)
PS Murphy is adorable. :)

04/16/2014 4:23pm

That's awesome! I could go on and on all day about bananas. I really could! I love them so much.

Thank you for pinning! Yay!

And yes, she Murphy is cute -when she's behaving ;)

04/16/2014 6:05pm

Life is better with ice cream! Bananas have always been my favorite fruit, so it is nice to read about how good they are for us, you are such a wealth of knowledge when it comes to why these fruits and vegetables are actually good for us :) I made my first almond sauce the other day and I can't wait to make this ice cream!

04/16/2014 8:54pm

Aww, thank you :)

I'm so happy to hear that! They'll help you beat that Arizona heat ;)

Charesa
04/22/2014 4:51pm

This looks so yummy! I'm not sure if I'm going to try your cheesecake or these ice cream cups this weekend...maybe both. I also love, love, love bananas! I always start my day off with a banana, yogurt and green tea.

04/22/2014 10:22pm

Hi Charesa! Hehe you should totally make both, then you can have plenty of healthy freezer treats :)

I am so with you on starting the day off with a banana. Breakfast just isn't the same without them!

Nini Bilton
04/24/2014 3:51am

Hi Allison - Im new to your blog of wonders. :) I was thinking of serving these ice cream treats at a party - can I serve them including the papers or what do you suggest? hope to hear from you…

04/24/2014 7:34am

Hi Nini! Hehe thanks so much. These would be great at party! You can definitely leave them in the papers (I think I just removed them for the photos). Just be sure to keep them frozen until you're almost ready to serve and you should be good to go!